Tips Before Leaving Your Home
DID YOU KNOW? Often, insurance companies offer discounts to homeowners who employ a homewatch service .
- Advise a trusted neighbor of the only people authorized to be at your home
- Either unplug the hot water heater, or turn off the circuit breaker. There is no need to run the hot water heater in your absence.
- Set the air conditioner to “Cool” and “Auto”, with a temperature of 80 degrees. The humistadt should be set at 65% or as directed by the manufacturer.
- Unplug all non-essential appliances – TV’s, computers, chargers, toasters
- If you can, turn off the refrigerator. If not practical, store all food from cabinets or pantry that may attract ants.
- Turn off the icemaker.
- If you have a fireplace, close the flue.
- Lock up all valuables, jewelry, money or important papers in a safe deposit box.
HAVE A GREAT IDEA? Share with other Sarasota residents and add to this list.